Welcome!

This blog is my response to The Joy Dare by Ann Voskamp, author of the book "One Thousand Gifts". Every day (hopefully) I will be recording three things that bring me joy, three gifts from God, three things that I am grateful for.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

February 17, 2012: The Joy of Giving


3 gifts found in giving/serving:
  • Joy.  Psalm 105:1-3 says,  Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice.  When we give praise, we receive joy.  That's why God's Word tells us over and over again to praise the Lord.  Not because he needs it, although he is certainly worthy of it, but because we need it. 
  • Blessing. What we give, we will receive in return. Of course, that only means that I receive blessing if I give blessing.  If I give judgment, I will receive judgement.  If I give unforgiveness, that is what I will receive. Jesus said, “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.  Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”  Luke 6:37-38
  • Renown. Not as the world names it, but as God does. In Mark 10:43-45 Jesus said, "whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,  and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  
It's hard to have a servant's heart.  Giving goes against my human nature.  I want to take what is yours, to hoard what is mine. But a true servant, a real giver does just the opposite.  If I want to be a servant, a giver, I must be willing to be like Jesus, who gave his very life for those who rejected him, who hated him, who wanted to kill him.  And he did it with joy.  Can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment