Welcome!

This blog is my response to The Joy Dare by Ann Voskamp, author of the book "One Thousand Gifts". Every day (hopefully) I will be recording three things that bring me joy, three gifts from God, three things that I am grateful for.

Monday, February 20, 2012

February 20, 2012: Gifts at Every Meal


a gift at breakfast, lunch, dinner:
  • Insight.  I read a devotional from Jesus Calling again at breakfast and one of the Scripture references was Colossians 3:15.  Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.  The first word, "let" really caught my attention. It said to me that it wasn't just an automatic thing, that it required some cooperation on my part. Jesus isn't just going to overtake me with his peace, he wants me to desire it and to allow it, for me to submit to his peace. I also looked up the root meaning of the word "let" in the original Greek.  It was defined as 1) to be an umpire 2) to decide, determine 3) to direct, control, rule.  To be an umpire!  Wow--I love that imagery.  I must submit to Christ's authority as the umpire of my heart, to concede his ability make the calls, to have the final decision (and he doesn't need instant replay).   
  • Love.  My husband sent me a quick "I love you" text during the lunch hour.  The high point of my day.  The little things do mean a lot.
  • Contentment.  A few quiet moments to sit at the dinner table with my husband.  It's a blessing to have someone I love to listen as I tell about my day and then to return the favor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment