Welcome!

This blog is my response to The Joy Dare by Ann Voskamp, author of the book "One Thousand Gifts". Every day (hopefully) I will be recording three things that bring me joy, three gifts from God, three things that I am grateful for.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

February 18, 2012: Paper Gifts, Precious Gifts


3 gifts found on paper:
  • a thank you note from a friend.  People don't send so many of those anymore, everything tends toward e-mail, text or Facebook message, but I love nothing better than an actual handwritten note.  First there is the delight of getting something in the mail other than bills and junk.  Then there is the anticipation of reading it, which always brings a smile.  But the goodness of it doesn't just end there.  I almost always save a note or card and prop it up on my kitchen windowsill or display it on my china cabinet.  There it brings joy for days to come as I spot it over and again and remember. 
  • an envelope of old pictures.  Black and white pictures of my mom when she was a girl.  I love family pictures, and old photos have special meaning.  In this case, they allow a glimpse into a past before my time, to my heritage. What a treasure.
  • a reminder from God.  This morning I read a devotional from Jesus Calling.  The reading blessed me, but then I got to the end where Scripture references are listed.  One of them was Zephaniah 3:17, The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.  I wrote about this verse earlier this week, saying that it's hard for me to believe that God actually delights in me.  Two days later He is showing me that his Word is truth, that he does indeed delight in me, his daughter.  God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment