Welcome!

This blog is my response to The Joy Dare by Ann Voskamp, author of the book "One Thousand Gifts". Every day (hopefully) I will be recording three things that bring me joy, three gifts from God, three things that I am grateful for.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 31, 2012: A Late Night Gift


a gift found on a paper, in a person, in a picture:
  • on a paper: full of middle of the night scribbles.  Last night I went to bed rather discouraged.  I had been trying to come up with ideas for a large group event for my Bible Study.  We usually schedule a couple of dates each year where all the groups come together for something special and that day is coming up quickly.  We've done some really neat things in the past, but I was coming up empty this time.  I thought maybe we'd have to repeat a past event or perhaps postpone or cancel it. My head barely hit the pillow when God began flooding my brain with ideas.  I jumped up and grabbed a pad of paper and began jotting them down.  I went to sleep happy but didn't remember it this morning until I saw the list on the counter in the bathroom. When I finally came to the end of my own resources, God stepped in with the gift he had for me all along.
  • in a person: my husband.  He amazes me with his unfailing positive attitude.  He has a gift of being able to see good in everything.  Sometimes it used to irritate me that he was always cheerful, not it (mostly) just blesses me.
  • in a picture: or a drawer full of pictures. My husband mentioned that he opened the desk drawer  and found a picture of us skiing in Colorado 25 years ago.  What makes that notable is that he just returned from a weekend skiing in Colorado with our 24 year old son.  I pulled open the same drawer tonight and came across an envelope of old black and white pictures taken when my mom and her siblings were children.  Pictures can be just images on paper, but they can also be gifts that bring back memories and tell stories of days gone by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment